Skip to main content

Veteran Actor, William Addo Needs GHC 5,000 To Save Him From Going Blind

Ghanaian Veteran actor, William Addo has revealed that he need GHC 5,000 for a surgery on the eye. The 66-year old actors said on  Hitz FM’s Daybreak Hitz on Wednesday, that he had been diagnosed of glaucoma and feared he would go blind if unable to raise the amount needed for surgery. 

“I have to do a surgery on my eye. My vision is very blur. Doctors diagnosed that it is a combination of glaucoma and cataract and I need to be operated upon otherwise it’s going to cause a fracture,” he told host, KMJ.

According to Mr Addo, he has sent letters to some institutions but has not heard any positive response from those quarters. He however, mentioned that Kwame Sefa Kayi has given him an amount but will not disclose how much since he does not have the broadcaster’s permission to.

“So far, it’s only Kwame Sefa Kayi who has given me something… I have sent copies of the appeal to Cultural Forum, Ghana Actors Guild, Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Creative Arts and others but I’m yet to hear from them. That was before the advent of Easter,” he said.


Asked about how he feels having hit by such a situation, coupled with the not-so-positive response, Mr Addo’s reply was full of regrets.

“It’s unfortunate. I have served this country faithfully. I was at the School of Performing Arts, we had a scholarship to go abroad for training. Out of ten, only two of us came back because I thought I owed my country a lot. Sometimes, I ask if I made the correct decision. 

I’m a pensioner who took GHC 3,000 as end of service benefit after serving for thirty years. Sometimes I wonder whether we are living in a country taking notice of your contribution” he noted.

William Addo before appearing in a number of Ghanaian movies was a stage actor. He studied at the University of Ghana’s School of Performing Arts and was retained as a teaching assistant at the school after he graduated. 

He later had a scholarship to do his masters abroad and came back as a lecturer in charge of acting at the institution. After some time, he was sent to the National Theatre where he was in charge of concert party productions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Telecel Ghana CEO Featured In KNUST's 75th Anniversary Commemorative Publication

Telecel Ghana Chief Executive Officer, Ing. Patricia Obo-Nai, has been recognised as one of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST)'s distinguished alumni in the telecommunications sector, earning a feature in the university's 75th anniversary commemorative publication, 70 Years of Global Impact. The commemorative book, unveiled at the anniversary launch under the theme "From Excellence to Eminence: 75 Years of KNUST," celebrates alumni whose leadership, innovation and contributions have shaped industries and advanced national and global development over the past seven decades.

Telenovela Channel Eva+ Launches On GOtv And DStv In November

Eva+ will begin airing on Tuesday, 1st of November on GOtv Plus on channel 113 as well as all DStv packages on channels 142.  Similarly to Eva, Eva+ will offer high production value Latin American telenovelas fully dubbed in English and Portuguese languages, and will be the first channel in AMC Networks International UK’s (AMCNI UK) regional portfolio to be available on MultiChoice’s DTT platform. Louise Cottrell, Vice President, Affiliate Sales for AMCNI UK said: “We are delighted to expand our telenovela offerings and partner with MultiChoice in introducing Eva+ to the African market. Telenovelas are increasingly popular in the region, so it’s exciting that with Eva+ offered on GOtv in addition to DStv, we will now be able to reach brand new viewers with our top quality content.”

Fidelity Bank Equips Miss Ghana 2026 Contestants With Financial Literacy, Sustainability, And Entrepreneurship Skills

Contestants of the 69th Miss Ghana pageant have received vital, practical lessons in financial literacy, personal empowerment, and environmental sustainability during a comprehensive mentorship session hosted by Fidelity Bank Ghana LTD at the Bank’s head office in Accra.   Held under the theme “Empowering Women, Enduring Legacy,” the engagement formed part of a strategic coaching series designed to prepare the contestants beyond the pageant stage, equipping them with the knowledge and skills needed to become effective ambassadors, entrepreneurs, and leaders in their communities. Addressing the contestants, Chair of the Miss Ghana Foundation, Inna Patty, Esq., expressed her profound appreciation to Fidelity Bank Ghana for partnering with the organization to empower the young women through financial education. “Partnering with an institution that consistently champions financial inclusion and national development is an honour, and we thank you for your warm hospitality ...