Skip to main content

Trevor Noah Pulls Out Of The 2016 MTV Africa Music Awards

The Daily Show host and South African comedian Trevor Noah, has backed out of the MTV Africa MAMA Award Show happening Saturday.

Noah released a statement to fans via Twitter confirming his withdrawal. He claims in the statement that he has been ordered to rest due to an infection.

Noah said is unable to travel because of a severe ear infection and strain on his vocal chords, apologising to fans.

Noah added that he wishes he could dismiss the doctor, but “added risk of flying means that decision would be highly irresponsible and may cause further damage”.

“I push myself as hard as I can all the time because I appreciate every opportunity I am afforded in life,” Noah said.

“Unfortunately there comes a day like today when it all catches up and my body cannot do what my mind wishes I could.”

A day before the awards ceremony is set to take place in a 2-hour telecast at the Dome in Johannesburg MTV announced that Bonang Matheba will replace Noah as host of the MAMAs.
Noah issued the following statement:
 To all my fans and everyone who makes what I do possible

I've been fighting a severe upper respiratory and ear infection this week and despite tons of medication the infection has gotten the better of me.

Due to the infection and strain on my vocal chords the doctor has ordered me to rest my voice and recover my health. I desperately wish I could dismiss the doctor but the added risk of flying means that decision would be highly irresponsible and may cause further damage.

I love the Mama's and more importantly I love performing in my country. Myself and MTV Africa have been trying to make the Mamas a reality for a few years and I was so excited because this was finally the year where the pieces fell into place and the date was one I could do.

I push myself as hard as I can all the time because I appreciate every opportunity I am afforded in life. Unfortunately there comes a day like today when it all catches up and my body cannot do what my mind wishes I could.

I'm so sorry if I've disappointed you but please know that I love performing more than anything in life and so having to cancel any show, breaks my heart.  

Sorry isn't enough of a word to convey how I feel and again to all my fans I will do my utmost to make it up to you.

Kind Regards

Trevor Noah

The MTV Africa Music Awards will broadcast live on MTV Base and MTV on Saturday 22 October at 21:00 CAT. The show will also be transmitted worldwide on partner stations and content platforms from October onwards‚ while MTV channels around the world will broadcast a one-hour MAMA-themed MTV World Stage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Telecel Ghana CEO Featured In KNUST's 75th Anniversary Commemorative Publication

Telecel Ghana Chief Executive Officer, Ing. Patricia Obo-Nai, has been recognised as one of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST)'s distinguished alumni in the telecommunications sector, earning a feature in the university's 75th anniversary commemorative publication, 70 Years of Global Impact. The commemorative book, unveiled at the anniversary launch under the theme "From Excellence to Eminence: 75 Years of KNUST," celebrates alumni whose leadership, innovation and contributions have shaped industries and advanced national and global development over the past seven decades.

Telenovela Channel Eva+ Launches On GOtv And DStv In November

Eva+ will begin airing on Tuesday, 1st of November on GOtv Plus on channel 113 as well as all DStv packages on channels 142.  Similarly to Eva, Eva+ will offer high production value Latin American telenovelas fully dubbed in English and Portuguese languages, and will be the first channel in AMC Networks International UK’s (AMCNI UK) regional portfolio to be available on MultiChoice’s DTT platform. Louise Cottrell, Vice President, Affiliate Sales for AMCNI UK said: “We are delighted to expand our telenovela offerings and partner with MultiChoice in introducing Eva+ to the African market. Telenovelas are increasingly popular in the region, so it’s exciting that with Eva+ offered on GOtv in addition to DStv, we will now be able to reach brand new viewers with our top quality content.”

Fidelity Bank Equips Miss Ghana 2026 Contestants With Financial Literacy, Sustainability, And Entrepreneurship Skills

Contestants of the 69th Miss Ghana pageant have received vital, practical lessons in financial literacy, personal empowerment, and environmental sustainability during a comprehensive mentorship session hosted by Fidelity Bank Ghana LTD at the Bank’s head office in Accra.   Held under the theme “Empowering Women, Enduring Legacy,” the engagement formed part of a strategic coaching series designed to prepare the contestants beyond the pageant stage, equipping them with the knowledge and skills needed to become effective ambassadors, entrepreneurs, and leaders in their communities. Addressing the contestants, Chair of the Miss Ghana Foundation, Inna Patty, Esq., expressed her profound appreciation to Fidelity Bank Ghana for partnering with the organization to empower the young women through financial education. “Partnering with an institution that consistently champions financial inclusion and national development is an honour, and we thank you for your warm hospitality ...